HPC to Start Major Study On Harvard

50 Will Meet Today For Planning Session

The Harvard Policy Committee will try to launch a massive study of the University--the "Harvard Education Project"--this weekend.

The program will take up seven sweeping topics, including "The University and Society," "University Finances," and "Curriculum and Courses of Study."

Today and tomorrow about 50 students are expected to attend preliminary meetings on the top floor of Holyoke Center. The organizers of the study decided that, before they break down into subcommittees, they should try to define a model of what they want Harvard to become. This weekend's meetings will aim for a consensus on the ideal college the project should seek, they said.

Piecemeal

The project was organized, its originator, Jeff Elman '69, said yesterday, "because the HPC has found itself limited by time and changing membership and has been able to act only on a piecemeal basis."

The HPC decided its daily work has become so complicated that the time has come for an undergaduate review of the University.

Antidote

Elman said the project "will provide an antidote to the fragmentation which has prevented students from asserting their proper role in the University." The study starts from the assumption that Harvard is afflicted with malaise and apathy "which means student unwillingness to express their disappointment with Harvard," he said.

At least one year, and maybe two, will be needed to complete the project, Elman said. The National Student Association has given a small grant to get the study started and he hopes later to get money from the Faculty.

The organizers will work closely with such existing bodies as the HPC, HUC, Student-Faculty Advisory Council, and Faculty committees. So far, Elman said, the Administration's only involvement with the project has been Dean Glimp's advice to him that its scope is too broad.