Meredith Won't Challenge Powell

By The ASSOCIATED Press

NEW YORK, Mar. 13 -- James Meredith announced today the withdrawal of his candidacy for the House seat left vacant by the recent expulsion of Adam Clayton Powell Jr.

Meanwhile, Powell, from his island resort in the Bahamas, announced that he will end his exile and return to Harlem Sunday, despite the threat of a jail term.

Meredith cited reneging by the Harlem GOP on promises of money and campaign help as the reason for his withdrawal. Yet he went on to say that Republican leaders had not pressured him to quit the race. "I don't think there was any bad faith," he said. "I think political expediency was the order of the day."

Negro leaders hailed his retirement from the race. Cora Walker, a GOP leader in Harlem, said she felt party committeemen would not have endorsed Meredith.

Harlem Democrat J. Raymond Jones claimed that he had information that Republicans of the 18th District had been "in revolt" over Meredith's candidacy.

Despite his abrupt withdrawal, Meredith intends to stay in the political arena of "the city, the state, and the country," though he disclosed no immediate plans for his political future.