Trackmen Place Tenth in IC4A's; Baker Sets Harvard 2-Mile Mark

Harvard's track team finished a poor tenth in the IC4A meet in New York Saturday, taking only one third place, two fourths, and one fifth.

Villanova, scoring twice as many points as second-place Army, ran away with the biggest indoor track event in the East for the eighth time in 11 years.

Jeff Huvelle tied for third place in the 600 in 1:12.1 for the highest Crimson finish of the day. Dave McKelvey placed sixth in the same event after running the second-fastest qualifying time.

Jim Baker shattered the Harvard indoor record in the two-mile with a 9:03.4 clocking, netting him fifth in a close race. Baker's teammate, Doug Hardin, tied the old Crimson record of 9:05.6, but it was only good for an out-of-the money eighth.

Steve Schoonover was fourth in the pole vault at 14 ft. 6 in., a full foot lower than the winning jump. And Captain Wayne Andersen finished fourth in the 60-yard dash. He was edged out by little Army sophomore, Van Evans, who whipped him at West Point in December.

Yale Takes Two

Yale won all its 14 points in two events. Sophomore Calvin Hill won the broad jump effortlessly at 24 ft. 8 3 4 in., and teammate Paul Jones was close behind for second place. Powerful Mark Young won the 600. Those two victories were the first scored by an Ivy competitor in the ICIA's in two years.