What the Commission Wants:

* Student and occupational deferments should be abolished, except for men in officer training programs and men in special hardship categories.

* A draft lottery should be instituted for physically and mentally qualified 19-year-olds. Those chosen would either serve immediately or postpone service until their sophomore year of college. Present students could complete the degree for which they are now working and then enter the lottery pool of that year's 19-year-olds.

* A more consolidated Selective Service administration should be established with less power given to local draft boards. Instead, eight regional boards and 300 to 500 area boards would administer a more uniform policy.

* The present "oldest first" order of draft would be reversed, and the youngest men inducted first.

* The Defense Department should develop programs to educate and train volunteers who do not meet minimum military acceptance standards to bring them "up to the level of usefulness as a soldier."

* Enlistment in the National Guard or Reserve should not provide immunity from the draft.

* Opportunities should be increased for women to serve in the armed forces.

* Study should begin immediately on an ideal plan, which would enable drafted men to choose when they want to serve between the ages of 19 and 23.

* Registrants should have 30 days, instead of ten to make an appeal on classification.

* All non-immigrant aliens should be exempt from military service.