Navy Swamps Golf Squad

The Harvard golf team should have stayed home this weekend and watched the Masters tournament on television. Instead they played a match Saturday against Navy, last fall's eastern intercollegiate champion and were whomped 6-1.

Junior Roger Wales, playing number 6, eked out the only Crimson victory, getting by midshipman Bob Cuccios on the 19th hole.

Only two of the other six individual matches were close. Number 1-man Bruce LoPucki, a former USA junior finalist, lost one-down to Navy's Bill Cobb with both men playing in the mid-70's.

Bob Keefe, a junior out for the team for the first time, shot a strong 76 in the second position but was edged, 1-down, by Jack Diesling.

Otherwise it was no contest. Navy's captain, P.R. Jones, one of the east's best golfers, played at number 3 and over-whelmed Harvard's Paul Oldfield, 4 and 2. Tom Wynne (No. 4) and Bob Sinclair (No. 5) both lost their matches 4 and 2. Sinclair was the only senior in Saturday's match.

Carl Edmunds completed the rout by trouncing Harvard's Bobby Kidder at the seventh position.

The Crimson linksmen continue their season tomorrow in a match against Williams and Boston College tentatively scheduled for the Charles River Country Club. Since that course has not yet opened, the event will probably be held at the Oakley Country Club in Belmont.