Lightweights Cop All Four Races

The weather provided a more serious challenge than the opposition Saturday on the Charles Basin as the Harvard lightweights swept four races with Columbia. The Lions didn't have the poise or experience to handle the rolling water and stiff tailwind.

The varsity shell jumped off the line to an early lead, which it kept on widening down the 2000-meter course. The margin had grown to three lengths when the Crimson crossed the finish line with a time of 6:22.

The JV boat, elevated this week from the third varsity position, rowed to a five-length victory in 6:45, at the height of the gale.

The freshmen also looked good, leaving Columbia six lengths behind while turning in a 6:26 clocking.

The second freshman boat completed the lightweight sweep by trouncing M.I.T. by 2 1/2 lengths and Columbia by seven.

Real Test Next Week

The Harvard boats, in their only race on the Charles this season, experienced little of the trouble that Columbia had with the rough conditions. Their real test, however, will come next week in the triangular meet against M.I.T. and Dartmouth at Hanover.