Golf Team, Crew, Track Squad Face Major Tests On Saturday

Penn Crew Looms as Toughest Foe In the Adams Cup Regatta on Charles

Psychologically, Saturday's Adams Cup heavyweight regatta against Penn and Navy on the Charles figures to be the most important of the collegiate racing schedule for the Crimson crew.

But the winner--Penn or Harvard -- is not quite unpredictable. It still looks like Harvard.

Feelings are running high. An intense rivalry has developed between the two schools in the last year. At Penn, Psychological warfare, a brutal training program, and a wave of rowing contraptions like "The Wizard," a shell electronically wired to indicate how much strength each oarsman is applying on each stroke, are all aimed at one thing: beating Harvard.

The Crimson oarsmen know all about this, and are just as determined to leave the Red and Blue behind at the finish line.

The freshman contest will be the real blood race of the afternoon. Penn defeated both Harvard's freshman crews on the Schuylkill River last year and came from behind to win again in the Sprints.

All Penn and Harvard boats are undefeated after convincing victories in outings so far this season.

The junior varsity race looks like a three-way fight. Navy is also undefeated at this level, and turns in times which are very close to the Midshipmen varsity. Harvard's heavyweight varsity coach Harry Parker thinks that the crew which wins this one "will be the best JV boat in the East."

Races begin at 3:20 p.m.-- the first freshmen start at 4:40 p.m. -- and continue on until the varsity at 6 p.m. A regatta between Northeastern and B.U., both strong crews this year, will be interspersed between Adam Cup races.