MBTA Will Rebuild Harvard Sq. Station

The Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority intends to rebuild--probably in a new location--its subway station in Harvard Square.

Although planning is still in a preliminary stage, it now appears that the kisok will be removed from the Square and a much larger station will be built to the north of the present station.

An official of the MBTA said last night that the new station will probably have one exit in front of the Harvard Square Theatre and another directly across the street by the gate which leads to Harvard Yard. A third exit will probably be located somewhere in the area of the Cambridge Common.

There are also plans for a possible underground link with the proposed Cambridge Common Garage--a huge parking structure which would be located beneath the Common. Another possibility is an underground walkway--perhaps equipped with a moving sidewalk--to connect the MBTA station with the Kennedy Library.

The plans for the new station have been drawn up by an engineering firm from St. Louis, Mo.

The directors of the MBTA have already accepted the preliminary presentation of the plans but the directors have not yet given the final approval.

The same firm is preparing plans for the extension of the subway line into North Cambridge. It now appears that there will be a new station constructed at Porter Square and another at the intersection of the Alewife Brook Parkway and Massachusetts Avenue.

The MBTA has still not decided what route the new subway will follow as it moves north from Harvard Square. Of the four possible routes under consideration, the most likely now seems to be directly up Mass. Ave.