New Student-Faculty Group Meets; Will Advise Masters on Parietals

By Charles M. Hagen

An informal student-faculty subcommittee of the Committee on Houses, set up by Dean Ford in November to discuss parietals, met for the first time yesterday.

The new body will gather information on the effects of liberalized parietals at various other colleges. It will then report its findings to the full Committee on Houses, which is composed of the masters of the nine Houses.

"We plan to find out the experiences in one or two other places where they've been concerned with this problem, such as Haverford and Wellesley, Alwin M. Pappenheimer Jr. '29, Master of Dunster House and the head of the new group said. "I think everybody agreed that if we went whole-hog and opened up parietals all the way there would be complaints."

"We discussed the effect of increased parietals on pressure to have girls eating in the dining halls. This is quite an important area to the college," Pappen-heimer continued. He indicated that in his own House there is often a shortage of seats even when girls are not allowed in.

The other members of the new group, besides Pappenheimer, are Zeph Stewart, Master of Lowell House; F. Skiddy von Stade Jr. '38, dean of freshmen; Daniel B. Magraw Jr. '68, president of the HUC; and two other HUC members appointed by Magraw, James J. Coone '70 and Craig E. Stewart '68.