CONCERTO CONTEST

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

I think Philip Moss's allegations of unfairness in the HRO's Concerto Contest which appeared in Monday's CRIMSON deserve some comment (if not a rebuttal).

First he laments that the opportunity of playing with the HRO did not draw a greater diversity of performers, and blames this circumstance on poor publicity and timing. I suggest that most past contests have received no more publicity than this, and that they have all been scheduled for the first or second week of reading period. This year's dearth of competitors is not symptomatic of any great trend: two years ago there was a much larger number (although the judges at that time felt that none of them were qualified to solo with the HRO).

More serious, Mr. Moss disputes the judgment of the judges. I felt they were extremely well qualified: Dr. Yannatos and Mr. Corley are experienced conductors, and pianist Luis Vosgerchian, though carrying a heavy teaching load here as Lecturer in Music, has yet maintained an impressive reputation. He hints that they were prejudiced against "works too difficult for the HRO" or "large Romantic concertos in general," neither of which is the case at all, as a glance at our programs for the past few seasons will reveal. David O. Lehman   President   Harvard-Radcliffe Orchestra