2 Students Face Physicals Today

By James K. Glassman

Two Harvard undergraduates--who lost their student deferments after turning in their draft cards at the Arlington St. Church rally on Oct. 16--will take their pre-induction physical examinations today at the Boston Army Base.

The two, Robert G. Shetterly Jr. '69 and James R. Smith '70, said last night that they plan to distribute leaflets and ask "embarassing questions about the war" on the bus ride to the base and during their physicals.

Hands Full

Army officials at the base will have their hands full today. Two other members of the Boston Draft Resistance Group, Corey Brown and Howard Marston Jr., plan to refuse induction, Howard Hector a spokesman for the Resistance said last night.

Brown and Marston were ordered to appear for induction last week. They took tests and waited around the base most of the afternoon until the Army, without explanation, told them to go home. "It looks like they are ready to try to induct them now," Hector said.

Marston's father has said that he will assume responsibility for his son's actions because his son, 18, is a minor.

Harvard students Shetterly and Smith said they plan to refuse induction when they are ordered, but today they will only be asked to sign a security oath. They said they will refuse to sign, but expect the Army to take no action.

Student Support

The two say they have received the support of 400 students who have signed petitions in Harvard and Radcliffe dining halls backing them and other resistors. Members of the Dunster House Senior Common Room have also signed a statement of support.

'Shetterly received a 1-A classification from his local board in Cincinnati, Ohio, last month.

Smith was declared delinquent last month and reclassified I-A. Delinquency can result in induction or a five-year jail term and/or a $10,000 fine.

Hershey's Directive

Neither of the students, however, were told by their boards that their reclassifications were the direct result of their participation in the Oct. 16 demonstration or of Lt. Gen. Lewis B. Hershey's directive to induct students for "illegal" protests against the draft.