Fox Warns Senior Class Of Cutbacks on Fulbrights

By Nicholas Gagarin

The Fulbright scholarship program, hit by severe Congressional cutbacks last week, may soon be a thing of the past for college undergraduates.

John B. Fox '59, director of the Office for Graduate and Career Plans, is sending the warning to House Senior Tutors in a memo today.

"With the possible exception of Japan," Fox said yesterday, "all of the programs most attractive to students--England, France, Italy, and Germany--have been wiped out."

Because a different binational commission oversees the Fulbright exchange in each participating country, the picture for next year was unclear when the 70 per cent reductions became known ten days ago.

In the past American students have won two kinds of grants--full grants, which cover travel, room and board, and tuition; and travel grants, which are used to supplement grants given by foreign countries. Almost all foreign countries, said Fox, have decided to continue their share of the Fulbright grants. In return the United States will make available a small number of travel grants.

Poof

"But the full grants are gone, poof, like that," Fox said. "There may be two full grants for Ireland and five for Finland, but almost all the rest are out," he stated.

Since the information on Western Europe is not yet "hard data," the deadline for applications to Western European programs has been extended to December 1.

The deadline for applications to programs in other parts of the world is October 21, but Fox said only "exceptional cases" will stand much chance of success. He was pessimistic that Fulbright money would be restored in the near future.

At Harvard a group of 25 former Fulbright scholars met Tuesday night and decided to try to gather signatures from across the country for a petition protesting the Congressional cuts.