Marchese Sparks JV Soccer Team Over Bruins, 3-1

An aggressive Harvard J.V. soccer team rammed in three point-blank shots for goals and out-muscled an undermanned Brown team yesterday to win 3-1.

The Bruins could only bring 13 men for the contest because the Brown varsity was playing a crucial game against undefeated Springfield. Shuffling their players at every opportunity, they managed to contain the Crimson offense for the first quarter, but the Harvard passes started to click in the second period.

Harvard center forward Gino Marchese had a good afternoon as he scored twice in the second period and assisted the other goal in the third period. The burly center forward mowed down Bruin defenders as he scored two goals at close quarters.

First Goal

Just before Marchese's first goal at 14:50 of the second period, left wing John Metzger headed the ball past the Brown fullbacks and Marchese raced between them. The Bruin goalie Raoul Odio came far out to block Marchese's shot, but the Crimson forward recovered his own rebound and booted the ball inside the left post.

Brown knotted the score late in the period with a sharp shot past Harvard goalie Wayne Quasha, but the Crimson bounced back with 40 seconds left in the period. Russ Vaughan poked a long kick past the Brown goalie and Marchese fired on an empty goal to put Harvard ahead for good.

Gene Warner iced the game midway through the third period with his tip-in. The forward line of Marchese, Vaughan, and Warner swept past the Bruin defenders and stuffed the ball into the net for the third Crimson score.