Crowds of Hecklers Greet Wallace In Boston Visit

By David I. Bruck

George C. Wallace arrived in Boston yesterday to face the most vociferously unfriendly crowd of his presidential campaign. The former Alabama governor, who spent about fours here before flying to Seranton, Pa. last night, was interrupted repeatedly by thousands of shouting demonstrators as he tried to address a rally in Boston Common yesterday afternoon.

Earlier, Wallace had driven through East Boston and Charlestown to the Charlestown Navy Yards, where he visited the U.S.S. Constitution and delivered a brief speech to some three hundred workers and bystanders.

An estimated 20,000 people turned out for the Wallace rally at the Common, but it soon became evident that a very large part of the crowd--probably more than half--had come to vent their disapproval of Wallace and his campaign. As the candidate began to speak, he was greeted by loud chants of "Peace!" and "Go home!" and by dozens of anti-Wallace signs.

In his speech Wallace hammered way at now familiar themes as he attacked federal open housing legislation, school bussing, anti-war students, college professors, the tax-exempt status of the national foundations, and Harvard.

"I bet this is the first speech like this you Harvard boys have ever heard." Wallace said at one point, apparently addressing himself to hecklers near the front of the crowd. "You just wait til November," he continued. "You make lots of noise now, and you've had more influence on national policy than the good people of Massachusetts have had, but the day is coming when they're going to have their say."

Calling for unity among Alabamans and Massachusetts citizens who share his views, Wallace said, "As you boys at Harvard say, let's have a little 'rapport' and a little 'dialogue' between the good people of Alabama and the good people of Massachusetts."

A small group of Harvard students distributed a leaflet at the rally in which they proclaimed their intention to sweep Wallace "to the White House and beyond." The leaflet, which was prepared by a Harvard undergraduate organization ralled "X", said that Wallace had won the support of "the decent and the simple, the forgotten and the remembered" by proclaiming "as Washington did and Grant after him, 'No man has the right to be bound by humanity.'"

Some 300 Boston and Massachusetts police were on hand for the rally, but there were no serious incidents. Shortly after Wallace's departure, Joseph Mlot-Mroz, the ever-present Polish Freedom Fighter, was forced to flee into the underground garage beneath the Common after he attempted to wade into a rally of some two thousand anti-war demonstrators while carrying a Wallace sign