Wellesley to Fast In Protest of War

By Ronnie E. Feuerstein

Fifty-nine Wellesley students have begun a four-day fast for peace in Vietnam. The fast from all solid food is scheduled to last from midnight Sunday until midnight Thursday, according to Nancy Ross, editor of the Wellesley College Student News and a leader of the demonstration. Wellesley held a similar hunger strike for peace last spring.

Same As Last Year

The organizers of this year's fast are mainly those who fasted last year, Miss Ross said. They found last year's hunger strike to be "most effective on both the personal and communicative level," she said, meaning that starving people think and also attract a lot of attention.

The girls will not wear armbands this year as they did during the last hunger strike. This year's demonstration has done away with "a lot of the connotations of melodrama," Miss Ross said.

According to Miss Ross, the demonstration is attracting attention. "If your friend is fasting, well, you want to find out why," she said. The girls are holding informal dorm meetings to "reassess the issues."

Dear Dick

The 'fasters' are also writing letters to their hometown newspapers and to Richard M. Nixon and Mrs. Nixon.

Some of the girls met with Glenn Hoffman of the Boston Draft Resistance Group last night to discuss other avenues of active protest.