Rain and Injuries Hamper Booters In 4-1 Loss to Army in NCAA's

An exhausted and battered Crimson soccer team failed in its first round bid in the NCAA regional championships, dropping a 4-1 decision to Army on a rain-soaked field yesterday.

Returning to action after Saturday's 5-1 loss to Brown, Harvard played with two starters out and five others injuries that seriously hampered their effectiveness.

Fullback Bob Gray and outside Gerry Montero watched the game from the bench. High-scoring star Peter Bogovich sat out the first half, while linemates Solomon Gomez, Captain Scott Robertson, and Jaime Vargas limped through the game with an assortment of leg injuries. Goalie Richie Locksley, whose bruised ribs forced him out of the Brown game, managed to play for the entire contest.

Rough Army

Harvard never really dominated the action. Playing scrappy ball, they found themselves physically outmatched by a rough Army squad. Coach Bruce Munro said before the game that Army was "the worst possible team to go against with injuries. It would not be so bad against a skillful team, but Army overpowers you."

Losing its speed advantage to injuries and a slippery turf, the Crimson fell two goals behind at the half. Army center forward Bob Behncke made both scores unassisted. On the first, he simply penetrated Harvard's defense and booted the ball past goalie Locksley. A Crimson infraction in the penalty area gave Behncke a free kick, which he converted for the second goal.

The action in the second half found Harvard battling the elements as much as the Cadets. Playing gamely, the Crimson threatened to make a tight contest out of it in the third period. But a goal by Army's Pete Cranblat put the game out of reach.

Harvard's lone score came on a high, looping kick by wing Ahmed Yehia late in the third period. Taking a pass from Jaime Vargas, Yehia arched a soft shot into the nets just beyond the Cadet goalie's reach.

Army, which added a fourth period goal by Matt Flemmer, moves on to play Brockport later this week in the second round of the NCAA tournament.

The Crimson, which has dropped three of its last four games as injuries and fatigue have taken their toll, meets Yale on Friday in the finale to a long season.