Ed School Hosts Dance Company In Ballet-Forum

Dabbling in the performing arts for the first time, the Graduate School of Education is presenting two "lecture-performances' 'of the Ina Hahn Company for its students this month.

The dance program was conceived not so much for people going to teach the arts, but for future school administrators and teachers, explained H. Nelson Goodman, professor of Philosophy and director of the Ed School's Project Zero which is sponsoring the show.

"We hope to change people's attitudes about the arts," Goodman said. "If faculties and school administrators have some opportunity to get acquainted with the arts and how they work, they will be more receptive to arts and students interested in them. We hope that they will introduce such courses into the schools."

The company, which includes Radcliffe junior Lindsay A. Crouse, will dance and discuss the ballets in an attempt to show that "the artist's work is similar to the math teacher's, for example. It is essentially a matter of problem-solving for both of them," Goodman said.

The dance program is an outgrowth of Project Zero, set up two years ago to do basic research into the factors involved in education for the arts. After the performances, scheduled for November 4 and November 18, Project Zero also hopes to present a film-making session and set up a painting exhibition.

The Ina Hahn company, founded by Miss Hahn, a choreographer and dancer herself, is a small repertory company whose members for the most part are also either dance or music teachers. The Company specialized in lecture-performances, and has danced mainly for schools, universities, and art associations.