Yale Mars Junior Varsity Grid Mark With Tie; J.V. Booters Edge Dogs to Win Eighth Straight

The Crimson junior varsity football team's hopes for a perfect season were dashed here yesterday afternoon when Yale played the J.V.'s to a 7-7 tie in the season finale for both teams.

Harvard thus ended its season with a 5-0-1 record, while Yale finished 3-1-1.

The J.V. soccer team eked out a 2-1 victory over the Elis yesterday for its eighth consecutive win against one loss.

Both football squads ran well and passed poorly on the hard, wind-swept field. Harvard rushed for 180 yards and completed one pass for 16. Yale gained 124 yards on the ground and registered three completions for 44.

The Crimson drew first blood in the opening period. Crimson safety Kenny Thomas intercepted a pass on the Yale 25 and returned it to the 14, and halfback Pat Coleman sprinted around right end for a touchdown on the next play. Eric Honick's extra point gave Harvard a 7-0 advantage.

Yale came back to tie the score early in the second quarter, as quarterback Joe Massey directed a 67-yard march and scored himself on a one-yard keeper. Harry Klebanoff's PAT knotted the count at 7-7 and turned out to be the final scoring of the contest.

Harvard fullback Dick Kelliher was the game's leading rusher with 86 yards in 14 carries. Coleman gained 79 yards in 18 carries.

In the soccer game, Harvard's Jim Wolfe, who was playing the last game in his soccer career, and John Metzger each scored once. Jay Breese started in the nets when regular goalie Wayne Quasha got the call to dress for the varsity.

Metzger capitalized on a fumble by the Yale goaltender ten minutes into the first quarter. As the goalie tried to recover the ball. Metzger dashed in and kicked the ball from his hands and into the strings.

Wolfe scored the winning goal in the second cuarter. Dribbling around the Eli defense to a point just outside the circle, Wolff kicked the ball past the Yale goalie into the lower corner of the net.