B.C. Dumps Cagers, 91-76, As Eagles Contain Dover

There just was not enough of Dale Dover to go around last night as Boston College's basketball team, led by captain Terry Driscoll's 35 points and 21 rebounds, overcame the stubborn Crimson, 91-76, at Roberts Center. It was Harvard's third loss in four starts.

The Crimson cagers were impressive at the game's start as they jumped out to an 11-6 lead while grabbing the first nine rebounds. But B.C. responded to the pleas of 2200 partisans, and Driscoll netted seven of the Eagles' next nine points to put his team ahead, 15-13, on a fast break basket, B.C. was never behind after that.

The home forces kept their momentum, and using their famous fast break and crushing full-court press, B.C. flustered the Crimson and ran its lead to nine points, 23-14.

In the final ten minutes of the first half, the Eagles steadily increased their advantage to be on top, 47-34, at intermission. Only Dover prevented Bob Cousy's team from running away with the game as he scored on three beautiful drives.

Narrowing the Gap

Harvard started strong in the second half, also. The revitalized Crimson narrowed the gap to only seven points after five minutes. But then with the score 63-53, the dam collapsed and B.C. outscored its opponents, 19-2, to go out in front, 82-56.

The Harvard effort from that point on was ambitious, but futile, as Coach Bob Harrison's beleaguered troops managed only three field goals in the final eight minutes.

B.C.'s outstanding guard Billy Evans played his usual strong defensive game, and at times got help from his teammates, in containing Dover. When Dover did get the ball, however, the results were good, as he scored 14 points overall.

It seems that Harvard has the individual talent to have an excellent season, but against the powerful Eagles there was a problem of organization and teamwork. This failing can probably be attributed to the fact that the Crimson is trying to adapt to Harrison's 3-2 offense. B.C.'s passing and team coordination, on the other hand, was superb, and their fast break devastating.

In addition to Dover, Harvard's Bobby Johnson and Chris Gallagher played well. Johnson did much of the ball-handling and passed ably, while Gallagher rallied from a slow start this season to lead his team in rebounding and scoring last night as he collected 17 points.

One of the biggest attractions last night was the B.C. crowd, which stood, clapped, heckled, and threw streamers with great gusto, exceeded not even by the boola-boola of Yale.