Winthrop, Adams Sparkle As Winter Season Begins

Curt Gowdy once said, "When the going gets tough, the tough get going," and Winthrop House has proved the great sports expert right once more by rallying from its ninth-place ranking in the fall Strauss competition with three powerful winter teams.

Winthrop dropped a tight one in its basketball opener with Adams, but since then the revitalized jock house has downed such adversaries as Kirkland, Dunster, and Leverett. Results of Wintrhop's game with Dudley have not yet been tabulated, but it may be assumed that Winthrop easily triumphed.

Winthrop has picked up hockey victories over Eliot, by forfeit, over Kirkland, 3-1, and trounced Eliot in "A" squash, 4-1. These successes have been a real shot in the arm for Winthrop's intramural program after a dismal fall season, during which athletic secretary Joe Mullin's teams, through no fault of Mullin's, picked up two sevenths and one ninth place finish in the league competition.

Adams Surprises

Perennial loser Adams has surprised the basketball world with its recent success on the court, as Pete Varney has stepped in to aid the house to a 3-1 "A" league record. Athletic secretary Jody Markowski said yesterday of his sophomore star: "Pete's a big one. He covers his territory." Varney did not play when Adams was upset by winless Dunster after defeating Eliot, Kirkland, and Dudley.

Leverett has put together a strong cage contingent, including football players Dave Smith and John Ballyntine. The Bunnies are a fast, running team with impressive balance; they lost to Winthrop by some 15 or 20 points but came from behind to edge Dudley and Dunster.

Lowell Bouncy

Lowell is also performing creditably on the hardwood, with decisions over Eliot and Kirkland. A hungry Quincy team--featuring Bruce Price, Tommy Harris, and mighty Ron McCullough--defeated Lowell but lost a heartbreaker to Kirkland, 65-64, in overtime on Wednesday to drop to a 2-1 record. Quincy could be the sleeper in this league.

The eyes of hockey fans are now upon Leverett. Dave Opsahl casually netted six goals in Leverett's season opener against Kirkland as the Bunnies won, 15-0. Captain Henry Doerr also played well, tallying three times. As an encore a week later, Leverett topped Dudley when Dudley was disqualified for not wearing ice skates.

Dunster Wins

Dunster also took advantage of Dudley's inability to field an official team, picking up a victory in its only test thus far. Lowell showed formidable power in its opener by downing Quincy, 6-1.

In other rink action Eliot forfeited to Winthrop but retaliated with a 12-2 thrashing of Adams. Adams' stalwarts rebounded from their loss to Eliot by topping Quicy, 6-4, as sophomore Rick Rosen turned in a hat trick. Kirkland has lost twice--15-0 to Leverett and 3-1 to Winthrop.

Less excitement is being generated by the squash competition, but Quincy's athletic secretary, Doug Bromley, said, "We have three outstanding boys in Bruce Price, Rick Barton, and Dave Patterson. They're real good ones, and we expect to see a lot of them in the future."

Quincy dumped Adams in its opener, while the status of the Quincy-Lowell contest is awaiting consideration by intramural chief Floyd Wilson.

The Intramural Department took pride yesterday in announcing the standings for the Strauss Trophy, emblematic of intramural supremacy, after the completion of the fall schedule. Leverett held a 40-point lead over Eliot (342 points), as the Bungarnered two firsts and two seconds in the four sports. The bottom three were cellar regulars Adams and Dudley, with Winthrop having a tenacious hold on last place.