Improved Crimson Five Seeking Wins to Cheer Wilson's Farewell

By Richard D. Paisner

Floyd Wilson and Harvard basketball will have the last two IAB dates of a long romance this weekend against Brown and Yale.

Relieved of his coaching duties effective next Tuesday, Wilson would like nothing better than to go out a winner, and if Harvard's play last weekend on the road was any sign, the Crimson foes could be in for some unexpectedly rough going.

At Princeton last Friday the Crimson, led by Chris Gallagher's 20 points, stayed in the game until the closing minutes. The next night in Philadelphia, Harvard combined Bobby Johnson's quick hands and two Eric Gustavson layups for its second Ivy win, against Penn.

All reports indicate that Harvard looked better on the trip than at any other time during the season. Jeff Grate has provided valuable, although generally overlooked, offensive and defensive help from the backcourt, and 6-3 sophomore Ernie Hardy has been taking up some of the slack caused by Barth Royer's illness-induced absence from the lineup.

Naturally, Harvard will be out to "win one" or two for the departing coach. This psychological boost may be enough to produce victories.

Harvard beat Brown narrowly in January when the Bruins' top gunner, Billy Reynolds, blew a fast-break layup. Reynolds hurt Harvard from the outside that night, and he got offensive help underneath from 6-6 Steve Sigur.

In the last few weeks the Bruins have played some outstanding basketball, upsetting Penn the night after Penn upset Yale and then knocking off Cornell last Saturday. Tonight's game is a battle to stay out of last place in the Ivy League.

Tomorrow night Yale invades the IAB in a game which means little to anyone in light of the big Big One between Columbia and Princeton at Princeton the same day. Yale's not going to win the title so the game will amount to a contest of pride.

Pacing the Eli scoring has been guard Rick Stoner. Captain Ed Goldstone is the second leading scorer and second rebounder behind 6-9 John Whiston. Harvard lost by 12 the first time around at New Haven.