Golfers Easily Defeat Amherst, Tufts in Meet

The Varsity golf team had more trouble with weather and rough putting greens than with the opposition yesterday as it breezed past Amherst, 6 1/2-1/2, and Tufts, 5-2.

Playing in a stiff, biting wind at Tufts' Sagamore Springs course, the Crimson outclassed both opponents with consistent fairway shooting. But even the Crimson could not handle the grassless greens which Bruce LoPucki, Harvards number two man, described as cow pastures.

Captain Bo Keefe set the pace with birdies on the first three holes and clinched his matches on the 12th hole, 8-6 and 7-6. He quit on the 15th hole, five under par at the time.

In one of his most spectacular days, Keefe birdied eight of the 15 holes he played, sinking 30-foot putts on the 2nd, 7th, and 10th holes, and chipping in another birdie on the 5th hole. By the end of his first nine holes, he was seven up on one opponent.

LoPucki Eases

LoPucki eased through his matches, 5-4 and 2-1, and Rank Heisler, number five, clinched his matches early with pars on the 12th and 16th holes.

Junior Tom Wynne and sophomore Jack Purdy capped their Amherst bouts only in the second nine, but suffered Harvard's only losses to Tufts on their last two holes.

Wynne went down to his Tufts man when he failed to pick up a birdie on the 18th hole. He had fought back from a three hole deficit at the 15th hole. Purdy lost, 2-1, as his opponent birdied the last two holes to upset him.

Oldfield Ties

Against Amherst, only number four, Paul Oldfield's come-from-behind tie kept the Crimson from a 7-0 slam. Joe Tibbetts, playing number seven, also tied on the 18th hole, but played a sudden-death 19th hole which he birdied for his win.