Tennis Team Beats M.I.T. In Romp, 9-0

SPORTS '71

The freshman tennis team swamped a helpless M.I.T. squad 9-0, yesterday on the Engineers' home ground to kick off a new season.

Playing at first singles, Harvard's Joe Cavanaugh, at one, couldn't do wrong and won in straight sets, 6-0, 6-0. Bruce Price, the Kansas Junior Champion, lost his first game but recovered and trounced his opponent at the second singles slot, 6-2, 6-1.

The match at third singles was the only rough one for the Crimson. A strong wind made it difficult to place shots accurately, but Chuck Benbrook was more consistent than his Tech opponent. That, along with a strong serve, proved to be the edge and Benbrook took the match, 7-5, 6-3.

Nielsen Wins

Last year's Illinois Junior Champion, Chris Nielsen, had an easy time at the fourth spot, and triumphed, 6-0, 6-1. Fifth and sixth singles players, Bill Brock and Ken Kraft, breezed by the Engineers, and won by scores of 6-1, 6-2, and 6-4, 6-3.

Benbrook and Rick Rosenthal teamed up in first doubles for a quick 6-3, 6-2 victory. Cavanaugh and Brock took second doubles, 6-3, 6-1; while Kraft and Jaime Gonzales walked away with the third doubles, 6-1, 6-0, to complete the clean sweep.

After the slaughter was over, M.I.T. coach Kirk Randall said of the Crimson netmen, "I think they have a well-balanced team with a lot of depth."

The freshmen travel to Amherst for a meet on Saturday.