Crimson Downs Penn, 8-5, In First Ivy Lacrosse Tilt

Harvard won its first Ivy lacrosse opener in ten years as sophomore John Rice fired in 4 goals and passed away 2 assists to lead the Crimson to an easy 8-5 victory over Penn.

From the first faceoff Harvard took the ball and moved into its own territory where the midfielders controlled play throughout the first three periods.

Marty Cain started the Crimson rolling with the first of his three goals of the day after a series of passes in the Harvard end of the field opened large holes in the Penn defense. Ince and Cain quickly ran the score up to 4-2 and then 4-3 at halftime, but the score in no way showed Harvard's dominance in the first half.

Harvard shot at will in the first period. Attackers broke free numerous times only to glance the ball off the goal or loss it away.

While the Crimson attackers were having their field day in the offensive zone, the defense held Penn to 5 goals, all on isolated scoring drives.

Mike Adams and sophomore Bobby McDowell led the defense on the field, and Kirby Wilcox kept goal for the entire game.

In the last period the sun took its toll from both teams, as the controlled Crimson passing broke down and the whole caliber of play degenerated into a dull ending.

The Penn win makes Harvard one of the top contenders for the Ivy crown, along with Princeton and Cornell. Penn finished ahead of Harvard in fourth place last year and was considered the dark horse in this year's race. They beat Yale in their Ivy debut last week.