Cliffe Studies Racism

"Many of you are trying to ignore what is going on here at Harvard, to concentrate on the South and Roxbury," Jeffrey P. Howard '69, president of the Association of African and Afro-American Students, told the crowd of over 200 that filled the colloquium room of Hilles last night.

Howard was one of nine speakers at a meeting organized by several Radcliffe freshmen in an attempt to present concrete prgrams designed to combat racism.

Howard, calling Harvard "racist," told his largely white audience, "Many of you have been asking what can I do; the answer may be coming very soon."

Speakers presented four different projects, including the Roxbury Unity Bank and Trust Co., the first bi-racial and black-controlled bank in New England; the Poor People's March on Washington, now planned for early May; and two programs sponsored by Business School students under the Business Assistance Project, involving fund-raising to assist black business in Roxbury and attempts to attract more businesses to Roxbury.