Penn Racketmen Shock Princeton Harvard Hopeful of Tennis Crown

By Patrick J. Hindert

A funny thing happened to Princeton n its way to the Eastern Intercollegiate Tennis Association championship. Penn upset the previously undefeated Tigers 5-4 yesterday, throwing the title race into a state of turmoil.

Harvard, Penn, and Princeton--each marred by a single loss--now have a shot at the conference championship. Since none of these teams will meet again this season, a three-way title tie appears probable.

Penn's victory was its first against Princeton in 13 years. Sophomore sensation Hugh Curry scored a decisive double triumph over rival Bobby Goeltz to lead the Quaker effort. After stopping Goeltz 7-5, 6-3 in singles, Curry whipped him again in doubles 6-1, 6-4 to clinch the match.

Penn scored its astonishing upset without the services of Bill Powell, who normally plays number four singles and number one doubles. Powell suffered a leg injury last week which will sideline him for the rest of the season.

Harvard Wins

While Penn was stopping Princeton, Harvard's tennis team jumped back into the conference race by whipping lowly Brown 8-1. The Crimson dropped only the number one singles match in recording its third conference win of the season.

Junior John Levin, still suffering from a cold which limited his effectiveness against Princeton, lost 7-5, 7-5 to Brown's Rick Klaffky. Klaffky pushed the ball deep all afternoon to outsteady the Crimson ace.

Rocky Jarvis continued to breeze past all opposition at the number two spot. Jarvis used a cautions strategy to overcome his opponent's slicing ground-strokes 7-5, 6-1.

Terry Oxford maintained his undefeated record, but only after squirming out of two set points in the opening set. Oxford pulled away in the second set to secure a 7-5, 6-1 triumph.

Jose Gonzales, Kent Parrot, and Larry Terrell all regained the winning touch after losing last week to Princeton.

With victory already assured, coach Jack Barnaby juggled his doubles lineup to give Levin and Jarvis a rest. Parrot and Gonzales took command at the number one spot and rallied to win 12-10. Terrell and Rick Sterne coasted to a 12-6 triumph at number two. Barnaby inserted Eric Wise and Ted Wheeler, two untested sophomores, at the third position. The newcomers responded like pros and banged out an easy 12-7 win.