CLEAVER POSTPONES TRIP

Eldridge Cleaver, on trial in California for attempted murder, has had to delay his trip to Harvard, originally scheduled for Monday.

Daniel S. Gilbarg, a first-year student at the Ed School who spoke to Cleaver's Ramparts secretary yesterday, said the Black Panther leader hopes to get to Harvard before the end of October. But a new date for the lecture has not yet been set.

Gilbarg, who through a friend initially contacted Cleaver at the Peace and Freedom Party convention this summer, has been working with the Kennedy Institute on arrangements for the visit. In addition to Cleaver's legal tie-up on the West Coast, Gilbarg said, misunderstanding has arisen over the amount of his honorarium.

$1000 Lecture

The Black Panther reportedly understood that he would receive $1000 for his lecture. But the Kennedy Institute, which pays for the guest lectures in Soc Sci 5--the course, with Soc Rel 148, that Cleaver was invited to address--set a limit of $200 per lecture at the beginning of the year.

Cleaver, still reported eager to come, has reduced his fee to $750, and the Kennedy Institute anticipates little trouble raising the extra money.