If One Doesn't, the Other Will

By Evan W. Thomas

Cornell's Ed Marinaro almost single-handedly beat Harvard last year, rushing for over 200 yards and scoring five touch-downs. The Crimson's loss to Cornell began a series of defeats that left Harvard with a dismal 2-5 Ivy League record.

Marinaro's picture hangs in the Harvard locker room to remind the Crimson that if they don't stop Marinaro on Saturday, Harvard may experience another 2-5 season.

The Crimson will not key heavily on Marinaro, however. "If you key too much on Marinaro, Cornell's quarterback, Rick Furbush, will beat you," Harvard captain Gary Farneti explained. "It was Funbush who kept Cornell in its game against Penn last week."

There had been speculation that Farneti, an All-Ivy linebacker who leads the team in tackles, would key on Marinaro. Farneti missed the Cornell game in '69 because of a dislocated elbow, and Marinaro's devastating performance may have been partly due to Farnetits absence.

Marinaro carries the ball 35-40 times a game and leads the nation in rushing with over 200 yards a game. Furbush runs about 15 times a game for a 94 yard average.

"Marinaro is a smart runner," defensive end Chris Deyle said yesterday. "He doesn't have outstanding speed, but he picks his holes well. You have to hit him high. He just falls forward for an extra yard if you hit him low."

"He doesn't run over people, he runs around them," tackle Tom Mesereau explained. "He's hard to pursue. He cuts back across the flow of the play."

Marinaro's line uses a blocking method suited to his running style. They "crab" block, hitting low and immobilizing the defensive linemen, allowing Marinaro to pick his way through the cracks.

Marinaro does have one weakness, though, and it may be an important one. He has fumbled eight times in the last three games.

Furbush is a hard runner who dives for extra yardage. He only throws about nine times a game, so Harvard's defensive backs will be able to concentrate on Cornell's running game.

Farneti claims that Harvard's defense will be oriented towards Cornell's ground game but straight-forward. Cornerback Rick Frisbee was less definite. "You may see a few surprises." he said.

Harvard coach John Yoviesin has made two personnel changes in his defensive line-up to contend with Cornell's runners.

Junior Jack Neal-whose brother Dale played linebacker on Harvard's undefeated 1968 team-will replace Mark Ferguson at linebacker.

Fred Butterworth will start at left tackle. Butterworth-the fourth player to occupy that spot this season-replaces the original starter, Ed Vena, who re-injured his ankle in the Columbia game.