Knockouts Are Everyday Thing For Rick Frisbie and 'The Room'

By Jonathan P. Carlson

Defensive halfback Rick Frisbie was knocked out last Saturday when he tackled Cornell's Rick Furbush. but his exploits in the area aren't limited to the football field.

Every Saturday night, Frisble and his fellow members of "The Room: Cleverly 19" don their "The Room" T-shirts and settle down to a good old-fashioned, knock-out beer blast, and open the doors of The Room to all their buddies on the football and rugby teams.

"We've gotten quite a reputation for throwing some tremendous parties," Frisbie said. "I don't know whether I should talk about this since the coaches have rules about no drinking during the season, but it's pretty common knowledge that all the football players drink."

Even though Frisbie is the only football player in the nine-man suite who is still playing. The Room, whose tradition began two years ago, still attracts a good group of Harvard football players for post-game celebration. Every original member of the suite played freshman football, and developed friendships there that carried over into rooming arrangements.

"At first, when we found out we were in Claverly, we were mad. But we soon found that the atmosphere here is freer than the houses, and we took advantage of it," Frisbie explained.

Basic Jocks Still Here

"The basic group of guys is still here from sophomore year," Frisbie went on,

"Dick Barrett and Phil Ordway, both rugby players, Bucky Hayes, who plays lacrosse, and Pat Coleman and Tony Rayner, who wrestle, are the nucleus. Phil Zuckermann [rugby] got married and moved out, but Jim Cain [wrestler] joined us. There have been some changes, but we still have parties here," be added.

Frisbie, who plays lacrosse in the spring, has been knocked out at least once during each football season (excluding last year) since his junior year in high school. But this year he didn't expect it to happen because of a new hydraulic helmet he's been using since last season.

Doctor Rocket

"Dr. Rocket took x-rays after the Cornell game, and diagnosed my problem as fused vertebrae in my neck. So I'll be wearing a neck brace against Dartmouth, and hopefully it won't happen again," he explained.

His neck problem may make pro teams hesitant to draft him (New York Jets scouts were here looking at Pete Varney and Frisbie three weeks ago), but Rick's interest in playing pro football has waned as his career has progressed. "Of course I'll talk if anyone offers," said Frisbie, "but right now I'm planning to go to law school.

"I used to be really interested in business-I planned to graduate, get out, and make a killing. But now I'm a little disillusioned about that kind of career, partly because I want to arrange my life so that I can take advantage of the out-of-doors.

Rural Lawyer

"I'm an outdoor sports enthusiast-swimming, skiing, surfing-and hate traffic and the mad pace of city life," Frisbie continued. "I've observed too many people who aren't happy, and I think I won't be happy living in the city either. I can't see myself as a computer, and because of that would like to set up a rural law practice somewhere."

"That way I'll be able to enjoy a quiet life free from big-city pressures, and still be able to play outdoor sports."