Varsity Soccer Team Scrimmages Lindenhurst in Friendly Meeting

By Martin R. Garay iii

Both the first and second Crimson soccer teams have been so good against each other this week that neither line has been able to score many goals. "I'd like to think that our defense is very good, but I rather suspect that our offense hasn't been very sharp," coach Bruce Munro said yesterday.

The varsity soccer team will learn this afternoon which phase of its attack will need revision when it takes the field against the Lindenhurst Soccer Club in a "friendly scrimmage."

"I asked a good friend of mine to find us a strong amateur team. Lindenhurst could beat us, but at least we will be able to judge our weaknesses," coach Munro said.

Harvard has yet to compete against a team in regular competition. They did beat B.U. twice last month in scrimmages, but the Terriers weren't strong enough to test the new 4-4-2 attack.

Quality Declining

Since those two scrimmages, the Crimson has only seen itself, and the quality of soccer on the B-School field this past week had been declining before coach Munro gave the varsity the day off yesterday.

"The team is hungry to play someone else. They were getting sick of seeing me," Munro said as he watched the JV's practice.

With Lindenhurst, the Crimson will have more than enough competition to restore its competitive urge. Although it will be a friendly encounter, the Harvard team will be trying hard to get itself into shape for its first intercollegiate match against Amherst next week.

"In the past we've begun the season by playing weak teams, getting ourselves into shape slowly. We don't have that luxury this year. Our first two games are against Amherst and Columbia," Munro said.

Columbia is unusually strong this season, and Amherst, while not particularly tough, could prove to be difficult Wednesday. "Every team including Amherst will try to be the first to knock us off, since we did so well in the NCAA's last year," Munro said.

Nine out of last year's eleven starters are back with the squad this year, and the Crimson should be able to give Lindenhurst a good game this afternoon. It may also be the last time the Crimson takes the field against a friendly opponent.