Harriers Race Today in IC4A's

By Bennett H. Beach

Harvard is one of about four teams expected to battle for second place behind Villanova in this afternoon's IC4A cross country championships at New York's Van Cortland Park.

Penn and Cornell-the runners-up to Harvard in last week's Heptagonal-and Manhattan are the other three contenders, while Penn State and William and Mary may also provide a challenge.

But these teams are all aware that finishing second is the best they can hope for unless disaster tricks Villanova. The Wildcats are led by consistent Donald Walsh, who ran a phenomenal 24:51 to win the Big Five in Philadelphia recently. Depth is no problem since Villanova has Chris Mason, Marty Liquori, and a group of strong sophomores.

Closing the Gap

Harvard, since it won the Helps, is probably the favorite to finish second, the place it earned last year. But Crimson coach Bill McCurdy would like to close appreciably the gap between his team and Villanova. The Wildcats had 60 points, while Harvard amassed 138.

The 1969 performance was a disappointment for the Crimson, which had even thought first place was within reach. Royce Shaw dropped out in the middle of the course, and almost every other man on the squad ran a below-par race, Keith Colburn did well, however, finishing third.

In fact, 1968 was not much better-Harvard finished third with 125 points when it thought the championship was attainable.

In a Pig's Mouth

As a result, Villanova more or less counts on a mediocre performance by the Crimson. "Harvard always takes the apple [chokes]," Villanova harrier Andy O'Reilly asserted after last year's meet. "And Villanova always seems to come through." This dismal pattern may. in part, explain why Harvard is concentrating on second place.

Another reason for cautiousness is the large number of sophomores on McCurdy's squad. Large races like the IC4A's require more experience since teammates are less able to stick together and thus help each other along. Each man must be able to make strategy decisions on his own.

The sophomores also have had chronic trouble on the Van Cortlandt course because of the series of hills in the middle. But their running in the Heps was encouraging. It was the first time they had run satisfying races there, and they finished high enough to give Harvard the title.

The Crimson has one man, captain Tom Sponger, who should be among the top finishers. He has been bothered somewhat by a hip injury but does not expect it to affect him today.