Cambridge School Board Expected To Reappoint Frisoli to Top Post

Frank Frisoli '35, is back at his $34.000 job as Acting Superintendent of Cambridge Schools, a post he temperamentally resigned during last Tuesday's angry School Committee meeting. Tonight the School Committee may appoint him permanent Superintendent.

Frisoli's appointment is bitterly opposed by reform-minded parents and most of the city's blacks. They fear that his conservative attitude toward curricular and administrative reform, his lack of sympathy and diplomacy in racial issues, and his quick temper will stifle any progressive movement in Cambridge schools for years to come. There is no legal limit to the length of the Superintendent's term.

When 300 black students from Cambridge High and Latin and Rindge Technical School marched on Frisoli's office this fall to protest his refusal to sanction their Black Student Union, formed last spring during disruptions at the high school, Frisoli called in police.

Opponents

Those opposing his appointment are appealing to an earlier School Committee pledge to "aggressively seek applications" for the position of Superintendent both within and outside the Cambridge school system. The School Committee has received about 140 applications to date, none of which it has reviewed.