Sailors Have a Rough Weekend, Take Seventh in Atlantic Regatta

By Bradford B. Kopp

Harvard's sailing team. after dominating New England competition all Fall, should only come up with a seventh at the Atlantic Coast Invitational this weekend on New York's East River.

The Crimson's standout A Division skipper, Abbott Reeve, with George Putnam as crew tied for sixth with 50 points because his highest finish was third.

In Division B Charlie Koch and John Roberts capsized in two races. and despite gathering two thirds only managed a seventh.

King's Point, the host, won the regatta with 59 points to 68 for Navy and the University of Rhode Island. Stevens and Coast Guard, two teams Harvard beat with regularity all Fall, both finished ahead of the Crimson, who had 103 points.

The Harvard sailors were hampered by severe weather conditions and unfamiliarity with the East River. On Saturday large wayes bothered the New England teams, and a stiff 30 mile-an-hour wind on Sunday especially hurt Reeve and Putnam-the lightest combination in the regatta.

Teams from the New England and Middle Atlantic areas are chosen for this regatta on the basis of their performance in the Fall championship in their area. However the event will always he held at a Middle Atlantic school, because of the brutal weather conditions in New England in late November.

"The home advantage is just too great, as last weekend shows," coach Mike Horn said. "Conditions in the Middle Atlantic take New England sailors by surprise. This is the first year this regatta has been held and it may be the last," he added.

Timme Angsten Trophy

This afternoon the Crimson will travel to Chicago for the Timme Angsten Trophy, in which they have not competed for 15 years. Harvard and Yale are the two New England representatives on the basis of their performance this Fall and the fact neither has been there in a long time. Colleges from all over the nation compete in the event.