Crimson Booters Lose, 4-3, to Hartwick

By Martin R. Garay iii

After being outplayed and outscored by Hartwick College in the first half of the NCAA quarterfinal match. the Crimson soccer team fought back valiantly, playing its best soccer of the season in the second half only to fall short by one goal. Hartwick eliminated Harvard from NCAA competition Saturday afternoon with a 4-3 victory.

The game-played on Hartwick's home field in Oneonta, New York- matched last year's encounter between the same teams in excitement and good hard soccer. With a three-goal lead at the half. Hartwick did not fill the field with fullbacks in the second half to prevent any Harvard scoring. Most college teams would have resorted to this defensive ploy. Instead, Hartwick continued to attack.

Sticking Power

Unlike most teams. the Crimson did not fall apart when it found itself three goals behind. It reversed the Hartwick momentum at the beginning of the third period and began to connect successfully on short passes. The Crimson forwards harassed the big Hartwick fullbacks and, with five seconds remaining in the third period, Harvard scored its first goal.

Peter Bogovich intercepted a pass from a Hartwick fullback just outside the penalty area, and dribbled towards the center of the field, 20 yards in front of Hartwick's goalie. Norm Wingert. Using a weaker right foot, Bogovich surprised Wingert, sending the hall into the left side of the net.

Surprise

At 5:17 in the fourth period Solomon Gomez surprised another Hartwick fullback when he stole the ball away from him and drove it past Wingert, Harvard was new behind by only one goal.

Four minutes later. Hartwick widened its lead to two goals when its forward. Tony Elia put the ball past Crimson goalie Billy Meyers, who slow to react, failed to cut down the angle.

Hartwick's field in general slowed down all of Harvard's reactions. Unlike the Crimson field, Hartwick's was covered completely with mud straw and hay. An early morning rain had made conditions even worse. "The field is in great condition," a Hartwick fan said to a Harvard rooter after one of the Crimson's forwards had fallen in the mud.

Non-Stop

Two goals behind only 12 minutes left and the Crimson still did not stop. At 15:06, Gomez scored his second goal of the game when he took a long pass from Charlie Thomas and put it past Wingert.

Throughout the game the Harvard defense led by Chris Wilmot. Rick Scott and Chris Ferner, was able to throttle a potent Hartwick attack which could have scored much more than four goals.

This year's Crimson squad. probably the strongest ever, did not give up easily, and for eight graduating seniors it was a proud strong last effort.