Racquetmen Rout Weak Big Red; Squad Has Yet to Lose a Point

By Robert W. Gerlach

The Harvard varsity squash team completed an undefeated December schedule yesterday afternoon with an easy 9-0 win over Cornell in Ithaca.

The Crimson won each of its four matches this month by 9-0 margins and now appears strong enough to challenge Penn for the national championship when the two teams meet in Philadelphia late in February.

Yesterday's victory bordered on boredom for Harvard. "We walked on the courts and walked off," junior Dave Fish said. "The most exciting moments were the turbulence on the plane ride."

Seven Crimson players swept their matches in three straight games. Sophomore Peter Briggs, who was under the weather, and junior Neil Vosters had their pride hurt when they each dropped one game.

For the statisticians, Harvard won 108 of 112 games in its first four matches.

Four players on the Crimson ladder-Fish, Briggs, Alan Quasha and Dan Gordon-will represent Harvard in the University Tournament to be held in New York City next week. The holiday competition is traditionally a preview of the intercollegiate individual championship. The tournament favorites are Penn's Palmer Page, Navy's Bob Custer, and Princeton's Sandy McAdoo.

Harvard does not have another match until January 9, when the Crimson travels to Navy to face the Midshipmen. After a mid-January match with Williams, the Crimson will have another month's break in its schedule before it faces Princeton and Penn.