Radicals Gather at Party, Eat, Drink, Raise Funds

A small phonograph played the notes of the Temptations- lost in hulking St. Bartholomew's Church- as about 100 people ate West Indian food, drank Harvard painter Sonny Gordon's punch and discussed the latest stories of Harvard "oppression."

Last evening's party was organized to raise funds to be used by SDS, OBU's labor committee and by a group of students and workers who are to publish a newsletter in which radical painters, cooks and carpenters will describe working conditions at Harvard.

Candlelight illuminated the huge main room of the pewless church as groups gathered at long tables set up around the room's edge. Much of the talk concerned the night school set up by Harvard for its workers- called by many present a "valueless program" which only prevented the allegedly underpaid workers from taking on second jobs.

Before the party really got underway at 9 p. m. a group of about 15 people sliced tomatoes and string beans, prepared stews and a punch, and talked about a range of radical events past and future- particularly an action planned for April, when a group of Radcliffe cooks will request an end to the wage differential between male and female workers in their contact.

A central concern was the funding of the worker-student newsletter, which is still in its planning stage. Many of those at the party stressed the potential power of the newsletter to convince students of the "legitimacy of workers' complaints." The newsletter should appear sometime "inside of a month," according to Daniel Veach '70.