Crimson Matmen Will Battle Penn For Second Spot

By Robert Decherd

Its hopes for the Ivy League title gone, the Harvard wrestling team begins its drive for the runner-up spot today against the pre-season Ivy co-favorite, Penn, at 3 p. m. in Philadelphia.

Morale could be a factor for the Crimson after its disappointing, but not entirely unexpected, 25-8 loss to Princeton last Saturday in Princeton.

No Morale Problem

"I think we'll be all right Saturday," Harvard coach John Lee said Thursday. "The guys knew that a lot of things would have to go our way for us to beat Princeton, so I don't think morale will be that much of a problem."

The Crimson, now 2-2 in League action. must defeat the Quakers today to pull into a second-place tie with Penn and Yale. next Saturday's opponent.

Victim to Princeton

After a fast start against outside competition, Penn fell victim to Princeton in a decisive Ivy match three weeks ago and the Quakers have not been the same since. It was the first loss of the season for Penn.

Several Penn starters were mangled by the powerful Princetonians, and subsequently the Quakers just barely edged unheralded Yale, a team that Lee feels is in many ways similar to his own. by a 19-17 margin.

"I anticipated a pretty even match." Lee said Thursday. "I certainly think we have a better chance against Penn than we did against Princeton."

Shuffled Line-up

Lee has again shuffled the line-up in the middleweights for today's confrontation. Junior Mark Faller, 13-0-1 on the season, will move up to 177 from 167, and Bart Harvey will fill in at 167.

Faller faces tough Bob Goslin, whom he barely defeated last year, while Harvey goes against Don Ingham, one of the Quakers' better performers.

In another change, Colin Mangrum will return to action at 158, where Mike Slutzker had compiled a 2-2-1 record in the last six meets. Mangrum is 3-2 for the season, but has made only one appearance at 158 since January 31.

Quaker Wrestlers

One of the Quakers' two outstanding wrestlers, Ron White, comes up against Harvard captain Paul Catinella at 134 in a crucial bout for the Crimson.

Catinella is making his second start at 134, having lost a tough 2-1 decision to Princeton's Al Ullyeda last Saturday. White has lost to Ullyeda three straight times, 10-5 in their last meeting.

The other notable Quaker is Dave Pottruck, runner-up in the Easterns last season at 190, who will go against either Dave Scanon at 190 or Jim Abbott at unlimited.

Comeback

Pat Coleman will be trying to get back on the winning track today after returning last week from a nose injury, only to be tied in his first bout at 142.

The Yardling wrestling team meets the Penn freshmen in a preliminary match at 1:30 p. m. The Crimson freshmen, headed for their best record ever, are 10-1 so far this year, and are unbeaten against Ivy competition.