Adams House Students 'Welcome' Pusey

By Carol R. Sternhell

President Pusey was "welcomed" to his biannual dinner at Adams House last night by about 30 dissatisfied students protesting almost all aspects of Harvard life.

The subdued demonstration was part of a brief introduction of Pusey by Paul Tebbits '71, newly-elected House Committee chairman.

"I feel this is a singular occasion," Tebbits said. "As there are so many in the room, I would like to share my introductory remarks with other students."

At this point the 30 students, including Tebbits, got up and formed a line in the center of the dining hall. In single file, each student solemnly welcomed Pusey to Adams House in the name of some radical cause.

"In memory of the painters' helpers deprived of their fair share of wages, I welcome you to Adams House," said the first student.

Others welcomed Pusey in memory of "The Vietnamese murdered by members of ROTC," "Harvard's one tenured woman professor," "The Adams House kitchen workers and janitors not invited to the dinner," "Jaok Stauder [instructor in Social Anthropology], Chester Hartman [assistant professor of City Planning] and academic freedom," "The tenants involuntarily expelled from their homes," "Soc Rel 148 and 149, found too relevant for Harvard," "Henry David Thoreau, who said he never learned anything of value at Harvard," and various roommates "punged from the University."

After the brief demonstration, Pusey gave his prepared speech on University finances. He made no mention of the issues raised.