Kirkland Wins Intramural Fencing; Swett Garners Individual Honors

Kirkland House dominated the upperclass intramural fencing tournament last week in the LAB to continue to bid strongly for the Strans Cup.

Kirkland finished with 22 points, 12 more than second-place Winthrop's total, Adams House claimed third place with six points Eliot took fourth place with five. while Lowell picked up four points for fifth place. Leverett followed with one point.

Most of the high finishers in the tournament were former members of the freshman fencing team. However. James Fournier of Kirkland. winner of the epee had never fenced before.

"Fournier is inexperienced but he is also 6'6 "and his reach was too much for anyone to handle." said Geoffrey Swett. another Kirkland House winner.

Swett garnered a total of 13 points for Kirkland by finishing first in the saber, second in the foil, and third in the epee to turn in the best individual performance of the competition.

George Sprou won the foil to propel Adams House to its third-place finish.

Al and Jon

Albert Lewis and Jonathan Weiss. both of Wiathrop House placed third and fourth in the foil competition. while Phillip Burgeson of Eliot picked up fifth place.

Lewis also scored in the epee, finishing fifth. In that event. Fritz Hobbs of Winthrop House was second and Eliot's James Bennett claimed the fourth spot.

In the sabre Neal Carney of Lowell House picked up four points by finishing second. Richard Hausler of Kirkland was third and Richard Steketee of Leverett placed fifth.