Yale Defeats Five, 112-88; Cagers Eighth In Ivy Play

By Jonathan P. Carlson

The Harvard basketball team completed its season on an unpleasant note Saturday night when it fell to a potent Yale offensive attack. 112-88.

The Crimson, which finished the winter with a 7-19 overall mark, recorded only one victory in 14 League games. thereby placing eighth in the Ivy League standings for the first time in 16 years.

After four minutes of play, Yale jumped to a 16-3 advantage on the strength of good outside shooting against a Harvard zone defense. Midway through the half, the Crimson started to fast break and closed the Elis' margin to 37-33. But that was as close as Harvard came for the remainder of the contest.

Morgan Stars

Yale's All-Ivy guard Jim Morgan, who led all scorers with 34 points, made a pair of free throws and added five 20-foot jump shots in the next three minutes as the Elis reeled off 12 straight tallies. Yale coasted into the locker room with a 63-45 half-time lead. Sophomore forward Scott Mickel. who finished with 22 points, sparked with Elis with 18 tallies in the first half.

"I thought we shot very well tonight." said Yale coach Joe Vancisin after the game. "We hit 48 per cent of our shots from the floor, and that's eight percentage points over our season's average." he explained.

No Newmark

In the second half. Yale continued to outshoot and out rebound the Crimson. Playing without 6'7" sophomore forward Brian Newmark, Harvard rebounded sporadically, and the Elis stretched their advantage to 30 points midway through the half.

Then with the outcome decided both teams began to fast break, trading lay-ups and jump shots. Crimson guard Joe Stanislaw scored nine of his 14 points in the final seven minutes.

Junior forward Mike Janzeewski playing his best game of the year, paced theCrimson with 24 points. He made 11 of 17 field goal attempts and garnered nine rebounds.

Seventh Leading Scorer

Guard Dale Dover, who made several fast break lay-ups near the end of the game, scored 20 tallies to become the seventh leading scorer in Harvard history. He paced the Crimson for the season with an 18.6 shooting average and 447 total points.

Captain Ernic Hardy, who set a new Harvard Ivy-League season rebounding record on Saturday night, finished the game with 11 rebounds. He had 162 grabs in Ivy League play, three more than Bob Canty had in the 1955-56 season.