Harvard Skiers Will Clash With Stars at NCAA Meet

Four Harvard skiers will clash with the top collegians from both the Eastern and Western Championships in the NCAA meet today through Saturday in Franconia, N. H.

The four Crimson slopemen-Alpine captain Larry Carter, No?dic captain Steve Hinkle, John Boyle, and Chris Ferner-will not compete as a team.

In the Easterns a week and a half ago. Harvard failed to finish in the top five. Therefore, only the Harvard individuals who excelled individually in the Easterns earned the right to participate in the nationals.

Carter and Boyle will ski in the giant slalom today. While Boyle presents little threat to the top slalom men, Carter should battle far one of the top five spots in his event and in the regular slalom Friday.

Carter consistently finished high in the Eastern carnival meets, and the Western schools old little to the slalom competition.

Barring a fall or a missed gate, Carter should definitely total enough points in the two slalom races to capture fifth or better in the combined.

In the jumping, Chris Ferner will face his ?ghest competition yet this year Although Fernier has proven himself to be one of the top three collegiate jumpers in the East he'll have to perform exceptionally well to finish among the top ten.

Most of the Western jumpers are Scandinavian, and will undoubtedly be the skiers to beat Saturday. "You rarely hear a word of English at the top of the jumping hill." said Harvard coach Bill Mc-Collom yesterday. "It's rather disconcerting" he added.

Hinkle, fresh from a tenth-place finish in the cross country races at the Middlebury Carnival last weekend, will also have to come up with a great effort to finish in the top ten in the distance run to be held Thursday.

Boyle, second in the ski mister at the Easterns, will compete in ???? events, but cannot be expected to stand out in any event. His force is ????, not excellence in an individual event.

Denver Univ, Colombia Univ. and Fort Lewis Univ, must be regarded as the favorites, but Dartmouth and Middlebury are capable of ????? the Western powers.