Fellows Ask for Help In Choosing President

The Fellows of Harvard College are sending 27,400 personalized letters to Faculty, students, employees, and "key" alumni asking for help in selecting the new president of the University.

Francis H. Burr '35, the Corporation member who signed the letter, said, "We want people to focus on what course of action the University should take in the next ten years, and then decide what type of leadership will be needed to accomplish such action."

Burr said that the University went to some expense to personalize the letters but felt it would be well worth the cost. "If we were going to send a mimeographed copy to all the people, we may as well announce our plans in the CRIMSON," Burr said.

Burr also said the significance attributed to the opinions of students and others would depend on the "thoughtfulness of the individual response."

"We intend to respond to all who write us," Burr said, "and we also hope to talk to a lot of people, even groups of people."

Burr emphasized the sincerity of the Fellows' request. "We are proceeding without any preconceived notions," he said. "I'm a blackboard and I want to be written on to find out what type of man the University wants."