Pitching Staff Checks Dartmouth But Crimson Drops Two, 5-2, 1-0

By Martin R. Garay iii and Robert W. Gerlach

Crimson pitchers Phil Collins and J. C. Nickens held Dartmouth's hitting attack in check, but the Indians' Chuck Seelbach and Pete Broberg completely thwarted Harvard batters and gave Dartmouth a sweep of Saturday's double-header.

In the opener, sophomore Broberg limited the Crimson to three hits and the Indians delivered four runs in the seventh inning for a 5-2 Dartmouth triumph. In the nighteap. Seelbach burled a one-hitter that edged the Crimson. 1-0.

"It's a tragic thing when you play 13 innings of good basehall and still lose two games," coach Loyal Park said of the loses. "Collins and Nickens both earned positions in the permanent starting rotation. They've risen to the top of the pitching staff."

Righthauder Collins held Dartmouth to three hits through the first six innings and Harvard led the Indians 2-1 as Dartmouth came to bat for the final time.

Captain Bruce Sayler, the Indians' leading hitter, started the seventh with a single and left fielder Frank Mannarino followed with a hit. After the runners advanced to scoring position on a wild pitch. Shortstop Bob Mlakar singled to left field to send Dartmouth ahead.

Relief pitcher Curt Tucker walked two baters to load the bases and then center-fielder Tom Hanna delivered the fourth hit of the inning to give Dartmouth a three-run advantage.

Broberg, who has caught the attention of many pro scouts, struck out nine in going the distance. Two singles by Peto Bernhard and a double from Dan De-Michele were the only blemishes on his seven inning record.

But is was Seelbach that was the most impressive pitcher of the day. The senior right-hander was never in trouble and only a well-hit single to right by Bernhard ruined his no-hitter.

For Harvard, southpaw Nickens did an outstanding job, holding the Indians to five singles Dartmouth. however, combined three of its hits in the fifth inning to score the only run of the game.

With Seelbach on second base. Dartmouth first baseman Steve Dagirmanjian singled down the right field line to drive in the run. "It was a fastball that I wanted to keep outside, but it came over on the inside corner," Nickens said.

Building and Grounds had installed an outfield fence for the doubleheader, the first time the Soldiers' Field diamond has had an outfield wall. But a strong wind blowing from the outfield eliminated the significance of the barrier.

Haryard is now 14-5 for the season, but in the Eastern League it has slipped to 1-4.