Powerful Cornell Routs Stickmen, 13-6

By Bennett H. Beach

Cornell's superb lacrosse team scored eight times on man-up situations and breezed to a 13-6 win over a disappointed Crimson squad Saturday afternoon on the Business School field.

"We were just beaten." said goalie John Cosentino, who spent a terribly long and discouraging 60 minutes trying to stop the barrage of Big Red Shots.

But the rash of Harvard penalties magnified any difference in ability between the two teams. Five Crimson players served two each, and Cle Landon served three.

After Landolt had put in a goal after picking the ball out of a scramble just in front of the cage to tie the game, 1-1, Cornell's Mark Webster scored the first of six consecutive man-up goals by his team on a quickstick right in front of Cosentino.

Harvard missed a valuable chance to tie the score and gain some momentum when, with the visitors a man down, Bruce Regan fired a shot off the left pipe after some nice Crimson pass work. It was one of the few times during the afternoon that Harvard showed an attack as threatening as Cornell's.

By the end of the half the Big Red had rolled up a 7-1 advantage, and it was clear that only a collapse by Cornell would make a Crimson comeback possible.

But the visitors dominated the second half nearly as well as they did the first. As in the first half, it was not so much a question of controlling the ball for long periods of time, but one of being able to score on well organized plays in front of the goal.

Using double cuts, which Harvard's defense is not designed to stop, especially when shorthanded, Cornell sent Mark Webster, Bob Shaw, and Bill Molloy among others, in for close shots on Cosentino. Only a number of fine saves-Cosentino finished with 19-kept the score from being even more lopsided.

The Big Red defense, meanwhile, did not allow the Crimson as many inside shots, and goalie Bob Rule stopped most of the balls fired at him by midfielders.

As in the Penn game, no Harvard player scored more than once, John Ince, Phil Zuckerman, Cabie, Warren, Rick Frisbie, and Regan were the men other than Landoit to score for Harvard. Webster, seeking to repeat as league scoring leader and as a first-team All-American, led Cornell's attack with four goals and an assist.

The Crimson, now 1-1 in the league faces U Mass Wednesday at home.