The Masters Opens, but. . . Golf Team Cancels Match; Courses Are Still Closed

By Martin R. Garay iii

Down in Augusta, Georgia, yesterday, the world's best golfers were worrying about a tee that had been moved back on the fifteenth hole. Up here in Cambridge the Crimson golf team was looking for a golf course for this afternoon's match against Amberst and Tufts.

The Harvard golf??? did not find a good open golf course, and consequently had to reschedule their ??? for next Wednesday.

The ??? heavy rains and snow that hit Boston last week left most of the area golf courses deep under water. At Concord Country Club, for instance many of the falyways were convered with water and the golf team was allowed to use only on falyway as a praction range.

At the Masters Tournament, which begins today, the pros did have some water to contend with-a pond that cuts about halfway through the fifteenth hole. Masters officials decided this year to move the tee back onto a big mound. This makes the hole longer to play, and the pros were worried about making it over in two.

"I wen't for it and hit two of my best shots," Arnie Palmer told Joe Concannon of the Boston Globe. "I made it. I hit that ball as hard as I could hit it. I haven't really come to a decision as to what I'll do in the tournament. . . It could mean two to four shots' difference in four rounds," he added.

Short Hitters Hurt

The fifteenth will hurt the short hitters like Palmer, giving the advantage to such strong men as Jack Nicklaus. who is favored to win the Tournament.

Undoubtedly. some golfers will hit the water on the fifteenth hole, but not as many times as the Crimson golf team while it continnes to practice on a soggy course.

Looking Forward

"Some course should be open by the weekend." captain Yank Heisler said confidently yesterday. "We are looking forward to the start of our northern season."

Should the courses open. the Crimson golfers will be able to initiate the new season with three double matches next week. Along with the Tufts-Amherst match on Wednesday, the golfers face B.C. and Williams on Tuesday, while on Friday they open the Ivy competition with a match against Columbia and Penn.