Curfew Imposed On OSU Campus

By Robert Decherd

A curfew from 6 p. m. to 5 a. m. went into effect on the campus of Ohio State University last night after students and National Guardsmen clashed yesterday for the second consecutive day.

Several student demonstrators suffered gunshot wounds as an additional 600 National Guard troops-supplementing the 1200 guardsmen called up by Ohio governor James A. Rhodes Wednesday-swept repeatedly through the Ohio State campus.

Police yesterday banned the sale of guns, ammunition, and gas masks throughout Columbus, but the curfew extended only through a two-square mile area around the university. No liquor or gasoline is being sold within the area affected by the curfew.

Sea-Change

At least 28 policemen and scores of demonstrators have been injured in the rioting that began Wednesday when police arrested the leaders of what started as a peaceful. somewhat disorganized student strike.

The students were protesting a lack of university response to demands by the campus Afro-American Association for more black admissions, more black faculty and advisors, and increased funding for the university's Afro studies program.

At one point Wednesday, a block-long line of city policemen and highway patrol officers, armed with rifles and wearing gas masks, charged a group of about 3000 students and hurled tear-gas cannisters.

Tear gas was used again today to break up crowds is of students chanting "Pigs Off Campus" and "Pigs Go Home."

'Not Today'

OSU president Novice Faweett-who immediately suspended all arrested students-has pledged to keep the university open, while John Mount, university vice-president for student affairs. was quoted yesterday as saying, "I'm sorry, I won't negotiate with anyone today."