Golfers Beat Bruins, 4-3

By Martin R. Garay iii

The Crimson golf team barely won its ninth match yesterday, defeating Brown. 4-3. at the Country Club.

Captain Yank Heisler. Jack Purdy, Cooch Owen. and Pat Grant provided the Crimson victories. Unbeaten in previous competition. Fred Sherman lost his first match in overtime.

Play against Bruin captain Jim Pages. Heisler notched a 2-and-1 victory. The Crimson captain hit well of the tee and the fairways, but continued to have trouble with his putting, missing several short putts.

"My opponent was doing badly, too-it was one of those matches that nobody wanted." Heisler said last night.

Fast on the Fairway

Purdy, playing behind Heisler, blasted a 250-yard drive off the first tee. and continued the heated pace until the end of his match on the 12th hole, just a few yards away from the Club House.

Purdy's opponent, Dean Hibner, could barely keep up with the fleet Purdy. and was seen breathing heavily on several occasions.

For nearly 40 minutes before the start of his match. Owen practiced his putting criticizing himself for missing several easy putts. The criticism apparently did some good. as Owen demolished his opponent. Tom Cookman. 7 and 6. Both hockey players in the off-season. Cookman and Owen talked hockey while walking down the fairways.

In fact, for a few minutes before the match, it looked as if Brown and Harvard bad gotten together to talk hockey instead of playing golf.

Talk, Talk, Talk

Crimson golf and hockey coach Cooney Weiland and Brown's golf and hockey coach J. Allan Seares were also deep in discussion.

"Cooney, you have to give me some tips on how to beat Cornell next year." Seares, a rookie coach, was overheard saying to Weiland. a TV commentator in the off-season.

Coach Weiland didn't seem to have any solutions.

"I just couldn't lose on my golf course," Grant said before his match yesterday, and he didn't defeating the Bruins'Steve Wagner, 3 and 1.

Repeat Performance

Sherman-who sank a clutch putt on the 18thto win his match against M.I.T. Tuesday-did it again yesterday to tie his match. But he couldn't come up with another one on the 19th and lost, one-down. Tim Schaaf dropped his match on the last hole. one-down. while Skippy Kistner lost on the 17th. 2 and 1.