Summer: That Means Picnics, Rock, Films- And Even Some Books

Four thousand men and women will register today for the 99th session of the Harvard Summer School.

Through the next eight weeks, they are expected to endure (or relish) Cambridge's muggy summer weather, a round of lectures, films, theatre, contests in tennis, bridge, chess and poetry, tours, outings, solicitations in the Square- and classes.

About a quarter of the summer students come from Harvard and Radcliffe. The majority attend colleges scattered across the country; about 60 students will leave Harvard in eight weeks to return to high schools as students, while about 800 of their fellow students go back to high school teaching positions.

Slightly more than half the 147-member summer Faculty have Corporation appointments- that is, they teach or administer at Harvard in the winter. Another third either taught or studied here previously during the regular school year.

The Yard yesterday was at a subdued hustle as the arriving students moved in. One distraught newcomer asked at the information Center in Holyoke Center what he should do Monday.

The Harvard senior at the desk told him the office had no specific information, but when the summer student insisted, he said, "Well, you get up, eat breakfast at the Union if you're on board." And the summer student took it all down.

But not all newcomers had such a hard time. Two girls had spotted

Charley's Kitchen by 5 p. m. and were in the midst of cheeseburger specials.

There summer programs are specifically intended for minority group students. In one, 30 students from mostly black colleges will prepare for graduate school with intensive tutorial and Summer School courses.

Thirty faculty members from predominately black colleges will spend the summer here talking with Faculty and otherwise make use of Harvard assets. The program is funded by foundations.

A third program will attempt to help black and Third World college students to qualify for medical and dental schools.

For the second year, Summer School students will enjoy parietal hours- hours when men may enter women's rooms and vice versa. The hours this year are noon to 1 a. m., an increase of three hours over last year.

Students in the winter, however, have no parietal restrictions at all, and two regular students living in the Union dorms for the summer said yesterday they are convinced the University won't try to enforce parietals, at least there. "They'd have a mess on their hands," one said.