Medical Students Raise Funds For Jackson Victims

A group of students, faculty, and staff of the Harvard Medical School will attempt to raise funds on behalf of the two black students killed at Jackson State College in Mississippi with a special showing of the film 'Z.'

The group is now selling tickets for a performance to be given at 9:45 a.m. this Saturday at the Exeter Theatre in Boston.

The goal of the fundraising is a $7000 trust fund which the group will spend in consultation with the families of the slain youths, Harry Minor, assistant for Urban Affairs in the Faculty of Medicine and a leader of the group, said at an organizational meeting last week.

The money will probably be used to set up a scholarship fund or to aid the families themselves, who may be in financial need, Minor added.

"This is the first time that people have gotten together to do anything for the two who were murdered at Jackson State. There was a real reaction after the Kent State killings, but so far no one has done anything for the blacks," Minor said.

The Exeter Theatre will carry out the performance for only a nominal fee for each person who attends the showing.

"It's a good thing we're raising this money by showing 'Z'," one of the student fundraisers said. "It's a way of reminding people who have bought a ticket just to solve a guilty conscience that the kind of violence and oppression he associates with foreign countries goes on right here in these United States."