City and Blacks Reach Agreement; Will Appoint Brutality Committee

By Joyce Heard

Fifty members of the Cambridge black community confronted the City Council last night and reiterated their. demand that police chief James Reagan and five other police officers be fired because of alleged police brutality in Cambridge.

Joanne Pelham, elected to speak for the black community, read an order-later moved by Councillor Thomas Coates-directing the City Manager to establish a committee composed of two representatives selected by the black community, two representatives chosen by the city, and a fifth member agreed upon by both parties to hear charges of police brutality.

The idea of a committee arose out of a meeting Friday between blacks, the City Solicitor, and the City Manager.

The City Council tabled the order to set up the committee at Pelham's request to give the black community a week's time to discuss the intent of the committee and report back to the City Council.

The council passed another motion introduced by Councillor Cotes directing the City Solicitor to outline a plan and procedures for appointment of a police commissioner.

If the council decides to set up the office, Pelham said, the blacks hope that the proposed committee would be involved in the selection of the commissioner.

Former Democratic gubernatorial candidate Francis X. Bellotti spoke last night in his capacity as legal counsel for the Cambridge Policemen's Association. "When you have seen the physical things that have happened against the police then you may question where the actual brutality lies," he said.

Bellotti Denounced

Saundra Graham of the Riverside Association denounced Bellotti for a remark reported in the press earlier this week. He had reportedly said, "There is an attempt here to undermine law enforcement in this city and then spread the conspiracy out into the state."